A real hand job...🕹

TL;DR an old OzStick + Raspberry Pi = StickPi... PiStick, SickPi? 🤔🙄

IMG_4307

There's the Pi, buried under the cable nest on the right.

IMG_4265

I used RPi4 with 4GB of memory for this project, plus:

IMG_4315

The original I-PAC 2 Heritage PS/2 Version controller that was in the OzStick had to go and was replaced with a modern I-PAC2 USB version. I still have the old PS/2 controller - if you want it (free), contact me to organise collection/shipping.

IMG_4314

The rest of the (re)assembly basically required fixing the drive and the power-supply in their respective corners of the box, installing the step-down transformers, the RPi and wiring it all up inside the limited space. I dialed up the 12V supply to the max (around 13-14V) and then stepped it down via two separate LM2596 transformers to 12V and 5V respectively. The first one drives the magnetic disk, the second is for the RPi. I powered the Pi using the GPIO header pins, and adjusted the voltage regulator while monitoring under maximum load with a multi-meter to provide stable ~5.1V DC.

IMG_4313

I made two 5" holes for passive ventilation.

IMG_4312

And lastly, covered with some left over performated sheet and pop rivets.

IMG_4381

So, what used to be an arcade stick, is now an arcade console. Just plug into a HDMI TV... or a projector.

You may want check out Lakka.TV for the front-end.

Round 2 - fight! Shoryuken 🕹😬